Welcome at Oswald & Kalb
PHOTOS by SABINE HAUSWIRTH
Oswald & Kalb hopes to spoil you with typical Viennese cuisine and a fine selection of Austrian wines. In addition to traditional dishes like Wiener Schnitzel or Tafelspitz (Boiled Beef) we also increasingly offer seasonal as well as vegetarian foods.
Enjoy the flair of the old university district not far from St. Stephan’s cathedral. Our cozy 16th century vaulted ceiling, the beautiful wood paneling and the Thonet chairs will all contribute to a pleasant evening with family, friends or business partners.
We thoroughly look forward to your visit!
+43 1 512 13 71
Mo-Sa 17.00 – 23.30
also open on holidays
Our focus is on traditional Viennese cuisine such as Wiener Schnitzel, Tafelspitz (Boiled Beef), Beef Cutlet Viennese Style and deboned Fried Chicken. Our Wiener Schnitzel is specially prepared: cut by hand from the lean topside of veal, sensitively pounded, breaded with breadcrumbs from Kaiser rolls and subsequently stir-fried in the pan. Our menu is influenced by seasonal and regional products and changed weekly. We offer gluten-free cooking on request.
Our kitchen cooks only with gas and we do not use microwaves but we love old traditional family recipes for dishes such as fruit dumplings or curd cheese pancakes. Our bread and the breadcrumbs for the Wiener Schnitzel are supplied by Grimm, Vienna’s oldest bakery, founded in 1536. Our barn eggs are from Bleier’s egg farm, Johannes Fiedler supplies us with potatoes and onions and our organic fish comes from Kalkalpen National Park.
Oswald & Kalb was founded in 1979 by the gallery owners, art dealers and patrons of modern art and its artists, Evelyn Oswald and Kurt Kalb. Through them it quickly established itself as a meeting place for writers, painters, sculptors, journalists, actors and musicians such as Falco, who celebrated the success of his Nummer-1-Hit “Rock Me Amadeus” here. This tradition has lasted and Oswald & Kalb is frequently used for events by museums, academies, universities and galleries.
The core of the building in Bäckerstraße 14, which is a bourgeois Renaissance house, dates back to the 14th century and was rebuilt in the 16th century. The windows are ornamented with lion heads and garlands. Above the entrance is a stone sculpture ofMadonna and child. The Austrian Academy of Sciences is located on the opposite side of the street. Built between 1753-1755 it was originally used by the university as the “New Auditorium”, which is why it is called now called “Old University”.